Friday, August 10, 2007

Get your Drink on!

Jenni gave me a great idea! It couldn't have come on a better day than Friday. I was just thinking the other day about Friday's and how much I used to LOVE Fridays. Back in my school days it meant the last day of school and the WEEKEND! I can not lie, from the time I was 16 it also meant PARTY! I got into 18 and over clubs when I was 16 and 17. Once I was 18 most times I got stamped as 21... I did the majority of my drunken youth before I hit 21. 21 is still my favorite # but it became my fave # around the age of 10. This post is headed somewhere else I will save that for another day! But I still haven't made it to my point that I was thinking about how Fridays use to signal clubs and drunk fests for me. At one point it would start on Wednesdays...again I am getting off track here.

Fridays on my blog are going to be Get your drink on! Where I will showcase a new alcoholic drink that you can try or just read about. Whichever tickles your fancy! Since Jenni doesn't know what a Mojito is that is the drink I will feature today. Gather up your mojo and lets get started!

A Mojito is a traditional Cuban drink. It is a cool refreshing summertime drink. I thought I would love it due to the mint but not so much. Like I said in my previous post it is by no means the vilest drink I have ever tasted. I cheated and bought the pre-made cocktail mix where all I needed to do was add the Rum.The instructions on the back of the bottle say to mix 3 oz of mix to one ounce rum. One of their caps is an ounce...how convenient! They also say to put it in a High ball glass with ice. Don't feel bad if you do not own a High ball glass or if you don't know what one is...my hubby didn't know what one was til I told him and a juice glass works just fine...here let me show you...I never claimed to be a good photographer. I tried no flash but it was too blurry.
So to make it look pretty you can add peppermint or spearmint leaves,which ever you may have. I added none because I have neither and I am not into pretty drinks...I drink them too fast to bother or care about their looks!

Traditionally a Mojito can be served in a Tom Collins glass, which is a tall slender glass, with sprigs of spearmint. For non-lazy folk, those that are not like me, can make a Mojito the traditional way.... as most of you might have all of these ingredient at home all ready!

* 2 ounces of lime juice, approximately the juice from one lime
* 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar
* 4 mint leaves
* 1 sprig of mint
* 2 ounces Rum
* 2 ounces Club Soda

You pour your lime juice in the glass, add your leaves,add the sugar and then mash it up to mix those 3 ingredients, you can use a fork or a spoon. Add ice, rum and club soda...stir. Garnish with the sprig. This recipe was not copied verbatim but was found here. You can find more info about the Mojito there. He also solved the mystery of how to pronounce the name of the drink. I would just say Mojeetoe-Moheetoe like one word. I am glad he cleared it up for me! I may have to try that version, I bet it would be tastier with peppermint, or just plain ole home made versus premixed.

Well I can't just let that drink I made for picture purposes go to waste. Thank goodness it's Happy Hour! Yummm I think it might just grow on me...
Tune in next Friday when I will feature Bloated Bag of Monkey Spunk...mmmm I can't wait!

***** EDIT******
So, it looks as though I have confused a highball glass for what is really called an Old Fashioned glass. I am so sorry. I will do my best not to mix up anything except the drinks I will be mixing!

7 comments:

Debs said...

I must get me some rum...oh darn. :P

I will have to give this a try.

Great post :)

Sauntering Soul said...

I've only drank Mojitos on one occasion, but enjoyed them very much! (Why yes, I had more than one.)

Fianna said...

I thought that was a highball glass. And I was a bartender for years. Hmmm...I guess I need a drink or two. Make one for me please!

Kaytabug said...

Fianna:here it comes sliding down the bar my friend! I didn't think I was wrong... I am glad a bartender says I am right! I won't be worrying about proper glasses as I don't have them all myself...it's what's in the glass that counts!!!
Thanks Debs and Bev for stopping by! Deb let me know what you think when you try it!! Oh and I will be sticking with white rum for at least the next few weeks in an attempt to avoid buying loads of different liquors! Though you will have to add other liquors to the rum... it just can't be avoided! ;)

Anonymous said...

OK, so none of the prescriptions have worked for me this week. I'm off to pick some mint...

Jenni said...

Interesting. It doesn't sound like my kind of drink, but you did remind me that although I'm out of Jack Daniel's, I do have some rum left in the pantry from a recipe. Rum and Coke is almost as good as Jack and Coke. At least it will do in a pinch;o)

Anonymous said...

We were in Cuba earlier this year, we had the famous Daiquiri's in the Floridita.

I must say, not my kind of drink!