Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Boogie Woogie

I feel so bad for getting my daily posts out so late in the day. I am just glad there is nothing in Nablome that states that one has to post by a certain time...well except for that it has to be posted before the end of that day. I was about to sit down and watch my recorded episode of the Results show for Dancing with the Stars when I realized I still hadn't posted for today!
I am starting to feel like I have run out of juice. I am sure it will come to a point where I will just type "I have nothing to say today."

Sunday I posted a picture of my Grandpa. It has been a little over 4 years since he received his last set of orders for his final duty station...Once a Marine, always a Marine. I miss him everyday. I miss him more the days leading up to and after Veterans day. He was my hero. The man wasn't perfect, I learned later in life his flaws...that he was human, made mistakes, had a horrible short temper...but he was my hero regardless. He was more of a Father to me than my own Dad. Grandparents get a chance to get it right the second time around, don't they? Not for my Dad. Funny how people can come from the same gene pool and be alike yet there is a world of difference between them as well.

My oldest is in a school performance tomorrow. He is a WWII solider writing to his girlfriend. He has a few lines. The song that they all sing after my sons small skit is 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy'. My Grandpa met my Grandma at a USO club. Grandpa said her dance card was always full. They loved dancing. I asked my Grandma once if she had ever danced dances like the Jive and Boogie-woogie...."All the time dolly." I will have a hard time keeping my eyes dry tomorrow. My Mom came today to be here for his performance. I had asked my Dad for something really special, my Mom brought it with her....
The pants,belt, and piss cutter aren't pictured. Does anyone think it would be safe to stick his uniform in a Dryel bag? My Dad must have pulled it out from the cedar chest a week ago and my Dad is a chain smoker...it just reeks! I am too scared to put it in the Dryel bag...and I am not spraying it with Febreze, as it has stained a few things so I wont even take that chance. I have dryer sheets all over it.
I am taking tissues tomorrow, lots of tissues.

13 Nablomedwn 17 to go

8 comments:

Sauntering Soul said...

{{Hugs}}

I bet your son is going to do a great job and you'll be bawling. I'm glad your grandfather picked up the slack for your dad. My Poppie always kind of did that for me too. He passed away when I was in college and I miss him like crazy.

I don't really have much advice about the smoke smell in the clothes. Would you feel safe throwing them in the dryer on a really gentle cycle with super low heat with a bunch of dryer sheets? Or, if you have a Trader Joes near you, they sell lavender scented bag things that you put in your dryer. Maybe something like that would help?

P.S. What the heck is a piss cutter? Is that something I would have enjoyed using on a certain ex husband of mine. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'm just now getting around to commenting on your grandpa posts! My grandpa fought in WWII too - he was a paratrooper in the Army. What a lovely tribute to your grandpa. :)

Junebug said...

My mom's brothers fought in WWII. Nice tribute. My dad was in the army during Korean conflict.

Debs said...

Love the uniform. How cool for your son. :D

Robocop said...

Very nice uniform.

Robinella said...

Don't forget your camera. Take lots of pictures. It'll be great to see him in that.

Sauntering Soul - What's a piss cutter? hahahahahaha

Emma in Canada said...

I too am wondering what a piss cutter is!

I can't wait to read about the play.

Anonymous said...

A piss-cutter is a Marine Garrison cap. Kinda like the hat that Louie Dombrowski (and countless other soda jerks and ice cream men) wore back in the 40's and 50's.