Monday, July 23, 2007

Fun Monday: Best Friends Forever

Today's Fun Monday is brought to you by the letter W. Willowtree that is. His blog it titled A Dingo's got my Barbie, which I'd love to hear him say in his Aussie accent! At least he blessed us with the line " Quit waggin' your bloody tail..." That was great! Today he has asked us to.....

"Tell us about your best friend. Particularly things like: where you first met, how long you've been friends and why you think you are best friends"
OR
"Who is the TV character that most makes you want to put your foot through the screen (it must be a character, not a person in reality TV). And why."

I have several Best Friends but I want to go with one that I have had the longest.
Her name is Fianna go check out her blog after you are done reading this. She is doing Fun Monday today but I still don't see her name on the list as I write this. We might be telling the same story. We hope that our memories, and loss of brain function leads to us filling in each others gaps. Hopefully our posts aren't carbon copy's or some shit like that.

So Fianna and I met when we were 3ish. I say ish because I cant imagine my folks letting me roam the street at 2. Ish also covers the possibility of us being closer to 4 when we stumbled across each other on the sidewalk. We lived on the same street, she on the even side I on the odd, only 2 houses away from her on my side but 3 houses away on her side from me. We started Kindergarten together. We would walk to school together and later bike to school together. We really did almost EVERYTHING together. We were like PB and J.


Look, she was my own Lil' Strawberry shortcake! Oh Look! It's that girl from Little House on the Prairie! Oh, no. That's just me. I still think that is her Kindergarten pic. She is just a lil' doll! I know that is my First grade pic. Why couldn't the photographer have just tucked that piece of hair behind my ear?


We lived on the same street in Ks together for our first 15 years. Her parents then uprooted her and her Sis and went to TX. We wrote each other weekly if not daily. I still have all of the letters she ever sent me.We still talked on the phone, just not as much as we were used to. We kept up with our snail mail until sometime around 2000 when I finally joined the email world. Which lead to Instant messaging, which is our current form of communicating with each other. We never lost touch with each other. Sure there may have been lulls from time to time but we could always start up like it was only just yesterday since our last talk. We have always been there for each other, even though for the last 16 years we have had hundreds and a few of those years thousands of miles between us. Just because we can't support each other in the physical sense doesn't mean we aren't there for each other.
For those that read Pioneer Woman and look at her readers photos (Willowtree) will recognize this photo. That's us circa 1991,our farewell photo shoot, before she left for the lonestar state. I told you all in my summer time post I never stopped flashing the peace sign!


She was an Aunt before her sister had kids. We used to sign our letters LYLAS and we meant it.

I can't tell you why I think we are best friends. Maybe it's the longevity, that we have known each other since we were toddlers. We grew up together and apart. Through it all, all the boys, all the highs and lows of our teenage years, the roller coaster ride of our early 20's, morphing into 30-somethings we still have that constant, we still have each other. We may not have experienced it all in each others presence, but she was there for me and I for her. I bet her version of this is better than mine. I still LYLAS Fianna!


My hubby is also my best friend. I wanted to tell just because the answers to WT's questions are good and maybe a lil' risque! I met my hubby in January of 1997. I don't tell most ppl how/where we met. My standard answer when asked is a bar. Since I am open and honest here in my blog... no sugar coating, no shoving sunshine up anyone's ass.....
We met at a strip club, you know the ones with topless dancers and poles, fully equipped with an alcoholic beverage bar! Yup,that is the place where I met the love of my life and best friend. He takes me how I am, puts up with all my crap, lives with me and still loves me despite all my many flaws and quirks. He is my soundboard, my rock, my compass... I would be lost without him. OK I see now why WT preferred we not tell about our spouse as our Best bud... some might get all mushy and shit. I'm done.

Go check out Willowtree for all the other Fun Monday peeps and their Best Friends, don't forget to go to my BFF's blog and read her version of our friendship! I linked them back up top, not doing it again down here.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to ask...were one of you dancing? Or did you both just end up there for the um...coffee? I love stories about how people meet.

AND I'm so impressed that you still are still best friends with someone from your childhood.

Anonymous said...

Great post! You girls look like you could get into some serious trouble!!! You know, the fun kind of trouble!! ;)

Molly said...

I love the range of metaphors in your post, my own Lil' Strawberry shortcake!" to "no shoving sunshine up anyone's ass....." With that you have written a wonderful tribute to your two best friends.

Keep flashing the peace sign; maybe we will be at peace soon.

MommaBoo said...

What a great pal. God sends us those "special" ones and it's up to us to nuture our relationships. I say you both have!

"Friends are the family we choose."

Happy Monday!

Fianna said...

I love comparing our posts, remembering what I forgot from yours... and it kinda makes me wanna cry. I miss you girl!! And I agree with Jennieboo, you are the family I chose and I am so happy that you don't want to divorce me even when you know all my flaws!! Love you!

Amy W said...

Its amazing people stay friends for so long!

Beckie said...

Yeah, I want to know if one of you were dancing at the strip club too. I missed the memo about not using a spouse as a best friend - oops (I tried not to get all mushy)

Good post - you are lucky to have such a good friend. Now I am going to go read her version...

Beccy said...

Great post about your friendship, I love how well you've kept in touch over the years.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It's great that you guys have stayed close even with the physical distance between you!

Tiggerlane said...

I am totally freaking out - b/c the earrings you have in the photo (the 1991 one)? I HAVE THE SAME DANG ONES!!

Just amazing to have a friendship last so long - a true treasure. Wonderful how you write about her!

ChrisB said...

I love the way you written about your friend and hubby. I too was curious about the strip bar and I see Susan has asked the Q!! I assumed you were both only there for the beer !

willowtree said...

Fianna is now on the list, somehow her sign up comment got eaten by the blogoshpere.

Hey, I recognise that photo from Ree's blog (in case you don't know, Ree and I are cyber friends).

Just so that I'm clear, was it you or your husband that was the stripper?

Anonymous said...

Good story! Love the pictures!

Raven_Dase said...

that is soooo sweet!!! I love the story about you two. :D

Sauntering Soul said...

Um yeah, I'm with the other commenters wanting more juicy details about the strip club.

I read Fianna's post about you and y'all just sound like so much fun! I have a few super long-term friendships (one is a 33 year one which began in kindgergarten). It's so special because not everyone is as fortunate as those of us who have life long friends.

Dallas said...

Great photos - she sounds like a great friend.

Anonymous said...

Its great to have that history with someone - you might as well be sisters!

Pamela said...

I love to read a post that makes my face hurt from smiling.

theotherbear said...

That was a great post. Love the kindy photos. and the updated one from years later!
Now I am going to read Fianna's and see if she wrote about you too...

Anonymous said...

ok really wanting to know if and who was doin the dancing;)

now that is a long and really cool friendship!!

neat

Anonymous said...

Great tribute to your best friend. My sister has her best friend from the hospital room her mom and our mom shared when they were born a couple hours apart. My longest term friendship would be my pen friend from Australia, I was 9, she 8 when we started writing over 30 years ago. Wonderful tribute to your husband also. Thanks for visiting my Fun Monday.

Kaytabug said...

Susan: Oh so brave and bold you are! I like you!

AR Songbird: Oh we did get into all kinds of trouble! ;)

mjd: I am glad you enjoyed my metaphors! I will keep on flashing it; at this rate I just hope my children see peace!

Jennieboo: I try to nurture all my closest bestest friends! You are so very right, they are the fam’ we choose!

Fianna: I loved comparing them too, I miss you too. Flaws? What flaws? I am not being silly or cute when I say you are my BFF or that I LYLAS! I heart you!

amy w: It is amazing!

beckie: WT edited the part about not taking the easy way out and using our spouse! I know I am lucky and very thankful!

beccy: I love it too!

rachel: nurture, you have to take the time and nurture the keepers

tiggerlane: I still have them and the necklace that went with... want to see?
Oh yes, a true treasure... TY, I thought she wrote better!

chrisb: Ahh the beer... I never drank it there....

WT: I figured she got gobbled up... plus I knew the time diff and all, you were sleeping, knew you'd get it up once you were awake! It was no dig on you mate!
I knew you would know that pic that is why I put your name in parentheses!
So, you want to be clear? Hummmm…. I didn't say if either one of us was a dancer?

nikki: thank you!!!

raven_dase: Awww thank you I'm all warm and fuzzy now! I like your "name"! What is the story behind "RAVEN_dase"?

SS: oh you are such the curious cat aren't you? ;) Oh and to think the details are juicy, I thought they were boring.....
We are a couple of fun and crazy gals! Just wish we were in close proximity!

sallad.net: Thanks and she is GREAT!

gawilli: she is the sister I never had.

pamela: sweet pamela... I am so glad I could make you smile so hard today!!!

theotherbear: thanks! I should have put in my kndg pic instead of my first grade... We knew we were writing about each other we just didn't tell each other any details. She was the one that got me into this blogging thing!

wolfbaby: Ahhh "if and who" I like that you did not ASSume anything!
Thank you!

Dawn: You are still friends with your pen pal from Aus.? Now that is amazing to me!!!
You are most welcome, thanks for visiting mine!

Everyone: I suppose how my hubby and I met deserves it's own post, don't you think?

irreverentmama said...

You sound like TWO of my friend Sophie. Whew! And also sounds like you've picked a man who can keep up - and maybe even stay a step ahead. We done!
-Laura

Karina said...

The fact that through all that time and distance the two of you have managed to keep in constant contact and not lose touch is proof that you are trully friends! Great post!

AfKaP said...

What great pictures!! Both of them!! What a wonderful friendship!