Friday, July 27, 2007

De-railing Update

Recently I wrote about getting de-railed. I wanted to give a small update on that topic. I made it to page 822 out of 870 before I went to see Harry Potter 5 last Thursday(July 19), in the kick ass theater near my hometown in KS. I had gotten sick on Tuesday and that slowed down my reading too so I think I did rather well. I almost completed my goal, I know I would have read the entire book before seeing the flick if it hadn’t been for that damn cold!

Now, the movie was a huge disappointment. Maybe it was due to my sickness. I understand fully that one can not fit an 870 page book into a 2 and a half hour film. However, there is no reason why one has to change the sequence of events, change totally how something happened, add small things that where never mentioned in the book and I mean small but still noticeable to me. I was also very disappointed that they (whoever they are) were unable to convey Umbridges pure evil vile-ness. She was not the villainess in the movie that she was in the book. I loathed that character, my blood boiled ie: high blood pressure, I wanted to reach into the book and kill her. I despised that character. I felt none of that in the movie.

I think I am done rambling on about this movie. I am nothing more than a freaky geek who refused to take my oldest with me when I saw it for the first time because it was MY first time to see it, even though it would have been his first time to see it as well I was the only one that has read the books, he has only seen the movies. I am the bigger fan, I have read all the books therefore I felt I should be allowed the pleasure of seeing HP5 for the first time ALONE without distraction from my spawn. So I guess that makes me a mean freaky geek but I do not care. He will get to see it in the theater; I just didn’t want him along with me for my first time.

Now I am off to finish the last 48 pages, then I will start my re-read of HP6 so that I can sometime this year start the final Harry Potter book. I bought it already, need to check to make sure I didn't get the version missing pages at least before I start it anyway. The suspense is getting to me and I am considering skipping my re-read of #6 but the last time I read it was when it came out what? 2 years ago? At least if I re-read #6 then that will let me prolong the end, since we are lead to believe there will be no more.... which by the tears I have read about by other readers of HP7 there really may not be anymore but I can't think of that now. I'd like to say JK would be a complete idiot not to keep cashing in on her empire, I'd be greedy if I was in her shoes, even though she is set for the rest of her life and her kids lives and her kids kids lives..... All I hope is that I can stay away from any spoilers of book 7. I am no speed reader, I have 3 lil' men, a house, a hubby and I blog so it may be 2010 before I get HP7 finished! I will savor every page! I hope and plead that whoever produces films 6 and 7 doesn't do what the ppl that produced film 5 did.

No comments: