Birthdays are highly overrated.
He tried really hard to make it as special as he could while being far, far away.
I tried really hard to enjoy my day, but it was just a rather dull day without him here. Everyday is a dull day when he is not here to share it with me. Birthdays and holidays have an extra dullness to them compared to all the others.
I had some of THE most wonderful birthday wishes on FB and plurk. But amazing, fantastic, wonderful, spectacular, and outstanding are words that I would not use to describe the kind of day I had. I had a good day, it was by NO means a bad day, but it really felt just like any other Friday. It didn't feel special. Only 1 out of 3 of my boys said Happy Birthday to me. The teen had the nerve to argue with me over what day my birthday was, "Today is NOT your Birthday." me:"Yes, it is." teen: NO, it's not. Your birthday is Saturday." me: "uh, No. I think I know when my own birthday is!" That was the extent of any acknowledgment from him, and that was at 6PM!All brought on by one of this brothers making some comment about it being my birthday.
I meant to bake my own cake. Sure, I could have easily bought one but I wanted to treat myself with an amazing homemade cake. It just didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow. It is my birthday weekend.
Birthdays are highly overrated!
3 comments:
Birthdays and holidays *are* highly overrated, and that's their problem. Our expectations are higher for them than for ordinary days, so we are often disappointed.
I'm really okay with my birthday not being spectacular, but I would just like for it to be relaxing with nothing extra expected of me, and I would like to be surrounded by people who *get* me and let me have that kind of day. Do NOT throw me a party. A nice, quiet dinner and maybe some cake is enough. Do NOT try to make it your version of a good day. It is my day. Do NOT ever ask me to go car shopping again. Yes, many people would be happy to get a car, but that is just another payment, another decision, and more stress. Plus, my birthday is in JULY. Do you realize how hot and nasty it is shopping for cars in July? Also, I really dislike car salesmen.
But this is about YOUR birthday. How do you like for your birthdays to go other than having your hubby home? What would the perfect day be like for you?
P.S. I bet the teen just felt bad that he had figured the wrong day for your birthday and let it go unacknowledged. Then he didn't know how to make up for his mistake. Kids can be pretty clueless, though. That's hard for us moms. I think they sometimes figure they need to buy or plan something big, and if they can't they feel it isn't worth doing anything when just a "Happy birthday" or a homemade card and being on their best behavior for a day would suffice.
You'll have a wonderful birthday next year. You have almost 12 months to make some great plans.
.... what would you like to do?
Post a Comment