Thursday, July 10, 2008

Toothpick

Slow down. Stop pushing, there's room for everyone. I am afraid this will be a huge let down. Nah, this kinda shit only happens to me. This is rather verbose so make sure your comfy or just come back later when you have the time to devote. I promise this is not one you want to skim or speed read through.

I did love me some cinnamon toothpicks as a youth but thankfully the toothpick in this story was not of that kind. It was a regular old toothpick. The kind you get in a box of 250 or so.
My 10 year old must have lost his damn mind when he thought it would be okay to play with toothpicks. I have no fucking clue where he got the idea to use toothpicks as pretend swords but that's just what he did. He had given a couple to each of his younger brothers but of course he had the bigger handful. I nipped it in the bud as soon as I figured out what was going on. The toothpicks were thrown in the trash. We had a talk. "You could poke someone's eye out with one of those things, someone could get seriously injured whether it was the eye or something else. Those are just for Mommy to use. No more touchy my toothpicks. Everyone understand? Good,great,grand!"

I get back to packing for my trip to Ks. I was unaware of what was lurking in my carpet. Not 5 minutes after I told my kids the dangers of toothpicks I was the lucky one to get injured. I was walking along minding my own when a toothpick jabs into my heel. Not a standing up jab in my foot, a sideways stab into my heel. That pain was awful. I hopped around screaming and cussing.
After I calmed down, the pain still lingered though, I searched for the culprit to find 2 toothpicks in the carpet. One was broken. Off and on for the rest of the day I tried with tweezers to get something out of my heel. I couldn't see anything but it sure felt like I had something in there. This happened on the 5th of July,that evil day. Screw you 5th of July!

I left for Ks on the 6th. I woke up that morning with redness around the entry site the size of a dime. FUCK it's infected! I was sort of limping that day. By Monday the 7th I was full on limping. Walking on the ball of my foot, sometimes tippie toe. It was like some kind of clumsy ballerina.
The redness was getting worse. I had to go to the ER. I have a friend that's a nurse and she had told me what would have to be done if it didn't get better. I'm still trying to decide if knowing what my fate was helped or hurt me more. I am a big fat baby when it comes to pain. I am afraid of needles. I'm really a health professionals worst nightmare.

The ER was not busy at all. After taking my name and birth date (they take your insurance info after you are done) I was taken in right away. One lady took my vitals and asked a couple questions. I warned her I was a big baby, just so she could be prepared. Turns out she had nothing to do with my procedure. She leaves and less than 5 minutes goes by and in walks a female Dr and a female nurse! I was happy. I warned them that I was going to be a big baby. The Dr admitted that the numbing was going to be the most painful and that it REALLY smarted. They started prepping , I tried positioning myself so I couldn't see what they were doing. I couldn't help but think about what was going to happen to me. It didn't help when I heard one of them say what scalpel she wanted. Unfortunately I saw that long ass fucking needle. You should know that by the time I went to the ER it hurt just to brush a q-tip over the site. The pain from that numbing shot hurt so fucking bad. I screamed, it was fucking loud. I even cussed. I think it was long drawn out FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK! Possible a Son-of-a-bitch! They had to remind me to take slow breaths. Yeah I was holding my breath.

They got the piece of toothpick out of my heel. I have a 1/2 inch slit that I have to wash and put antibiotic ointment on twice a day. I have to keep it covered when I am up and about. The Dr and nurse were so awesome. They were so sweet and nice and understanding. I was in and out in just over an hour. That, I think, is unheard of in ER's. I love small town Ks. I would not have gotten such kindness and empathy and genuine care from the military ER. I am glad I didn't go at home. I am on some antibiotics to knock the infection. The pain meds they gave me made me feel like crap so I quit taking them.

Anyone with weak constitutions should look away while you scroll down to leave me a comment. Actually it's really not that bad, promise.

My lovely new bracelet I mentioned the other day.

My wound...

DUH! I asked for the piece of toothpick they pulled out of my heel.What blogger wouldn't?! Heck what Mom wouldn't? When I asked the Dr if I could have gotten it out she told me "No, it was in pretty deep."
You can bet your bottom dollar that I showed my oldest what was cut and dug out of my heel. I told him that I better never see another toothpick in his hands. His life would be in danger.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Fuck! That looks like it hurts! Hope you kicked your kid's ass a good one!

Sauntering Soul said...

Holy crap, that is not at all the story I expected to hear about a toothpick. Glad you are okay and your time in the ER didn't take too long.

I had to go to the ER twice in '06 with my Dad. The first time was for his broken back and we were sitting there for approximately 6 hours until they finally decided to admit him overnight for observation (which seems crazy for a broken back but they didn't do surgery on it until over a week later). The second time was when he fell off the front porch, his glasses broke, cut him pretty bad, and he needed 17 stitches in his eyelid. That night I was there for about 4.5 hours until they decided to keep him overnight for observation because he's diabetic, had lost a lot of blood and his blood sugar was out of control. Good times.

Anonymous said...

That piece of toothpick look tiny. Isn't is crazy what something so small can do.

We have a new ER that promises to have you in and out in 30 minutes or less and we had to try it out a few months ago for RePete and we walked out at 28 minutes. AND everyone was kind and fun.

Very impressive!! And we are not a small town. Unheard of here.

Anonymous said...

Oh crap. I hope it heals quickly and the pain subsides soon.

Great fake friend I am.

Anonymous said...

Robinella didnt have the same experience at the 1/2 ER we had. 2 1/2 hours later we walked out after my son stuck a pencil in his eye! Anyway, I can SO sympathise with you. When I was about 5 I was jumping from the toliet to the sink in my parents room. Unfortunately, I missed the sink and landed on a NEEDLE that my sister had dropped on the floor. Mine went straight in, hit the bone and broke off in my foot. Believe it or not but I can prove it, in the same EXACT spot yours happened in. I still have the 2" scar! I guess we are some kind of scar sisters somehow! LOL. Not the toothpick kind of story I was looking forward to. Sorry you had to go through what you did right before and during your vacation. Hope the rest of it is good!

Unknown said...

Oh, ouch! I have rammed a toothpick into the ball of my foot before and it hurt like hell. But I was able to get mine out.

Owie! Mean boys. Hope it starts healing now, or heeling *snicker*, :).

The post I have up about my son's stitches - he refused numbing. He had no needles other than the stitching one - Ow too!

ChrisB said...

Ohh that looks so sore, it's amazing how it's often the seemingly small wounds that become infected and cause so much pain.

Fianna said...

OUCH! I am glad you are where you are, not only for the kind docs, but the assistance while you are down.

Kick his ass a bit for me too, silly boy!

the planet of janet said...

OUCH! that hurts!!

but honestly, i spent 3/4 of the post trying to figure out who K is.

i'm so dumb.

willowtree said...

I've heard of people picking their toes, but this is just ridiculous!

Sandy said...

and, just to follow up on WT's remark, that's some toe jam you've got going on there...lol.

I know, it was your heel, but still.

Jenni said...

Ouch! I'm glad you got it taken care of.

I didn't know you were blogging while you're in Ks. I clicked your blog while I was trying to click Lisa's and noticed you have new posts up.

Kila said...

Ouch! Dang kids! I hope it heals quickly for you. And now I'm looking at the bottom of my foot to see if it looks as nice as yours, LOL.

Anonymous said...

You so accurately described it that it gave me chill bumps. OMG! I once stuck a toothpick (that my husband left in my car...grrr) under my nail. I think your story tops mine. Big.Time. Hope it's healing well.

KG said...

That blows, man. I apparently stubbed my toe in the middle of the night in a baby-induced haze and didn't even remember doing it . . . well . . . apparently I stubbed it so hard that my toenail went back up underneath the skin and got infected. Foot infections are SO oddly painful. Way more painful than you'd think. Anyway, they had to REMOVE MY TOENAIL!!! EWWWWW! I was so grossed out. The pain wasn't that bad - but the gross out factor? TREMENDOUS!

Pamela said...

oh... you should have so made him go with you and watch the ordeal!!!