Monday, September 24, 2007

Fun Monday Whatcha' got Cookin'?


Today's hostess is Lisa The Food Snob. Her challenge was this...

"I want to see your favorite recipe, be it either because your grandmother wrote it, it's the easiest thing you can slap together that everyone likes, it makes you feel healthy, it's cheap, etc. You don't have to make it (although you could if you want) but let us see the index card, cookbook, printed paper from the web, and why it's a favorite in your house. If you have a lot, just pick one, I know I'll have to!"

It is always hard for me to pick one thing...I can never choose one of anything...so Lisa was kind enough to say I could have more than one!! Woo Hoo! Otherwise I was gonna pull a Swamp Queen and not follow the rules!! I got blessed with another damn cold on Saturday so there will be no photos of my food. You can thank me later!

Here is the what holds all of the family's secret recipes. My hubby and I were given this as a wedding gift. One of my Aunts hand copied onto notebook paper recipes of hers, my other aunt's, a few of my cousins contributed a few and last but not least my late Grandmothers famous recipes and some of my Great-Grandmothers too! This was my favorite and most cherished wedding gift. I have since added to it and have put the recipes in document protectors.


Here are 2 recipes inside the one on the left is one I found perusing one of my favorite recipe sites allrecipes. I have tweaked it just a tad. Everyone in my family loves this dish. The recipe on the right is from the same place but my oldest son brought it home with a few others when he was in a cooking club in 3rd grade. This is a very yummy easy mini cheesecake recipe. I do not like cherry pie filling so I have made it with strawberry(which is my fave) and blueberry and blackberry....
There you have it! A little sampling of what I cook around here. Now you can go check out Lisa for more delicious recipes after you thank me for not giving you drool visuals! ;)

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both recipes look really good but I LOVE cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the recipes are easy to make, but this post sure was.

Debs said...

I am going to have work on me a big book like yours. My old book is in very sad shape.

Fianna said...

Love the notebook! We received one already with a CD to boot. I, lazy old I, have not cracked it yet.

And protective sheets. You are too smart! Gotta do that!

Kaytabug said...

joy t. I love cheesecake too and these mini's are delectable!!

WT: Them's fightin' words! You ornery old fart!

debs: It is just a simple 3 ring binder...

fianna: yes I have even thought of getting 3x5 photo refill pages for the actual recipe cards..right now the fave few are in the front pocket thats bursting with other stuff...I need to work on it!

theotherbear said...

Sounds interesting, I would make that one on the left but I have never in my life seen a can of cheese soup.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you for no drooling pictures, just the sound of cheesecake makes my heart jump!
Thanks for playing, I love digging into old family binders, you never know what you'll find!

Anonymous said...

I've made the mini cheese cakes before and they're great. I always use blueberry for the topping.

They really are easy to make and are a big hit if you take them somewhere.

I've thought about making them in minimuffin pans so they'd be bitesize and less messy, though. (I always end up wearing at least one blueberry!)

Amy W said...

Love the mini cheesecake recipe...

Anonymous said...

And I thought one of your fave recipes would be your special drink concoctions!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea of your wedding gift. I always plan to make mini cheesecakes, but end up not. I must do that one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to make a personal recipe book like that...but so far...

Robinella said...

That is a wonderful wedding present!

My MIL makes a killer cheesecake. She could seriously sell the stuff. I once a half of one all by myself in one sitting. That's not easy since the thing is about 4-5 inches high and 9 inches across.

Oh and no beef or pork. Eggs okay, but I have to cut the little umbilical cords off. Chicken, only skinless, boneless. It's not a humane thing, it's a gross factor thing! haha

Anonymous said...

You had me at cheesecake. Ooh, my ass is growing just thinking about it!

Karina said...

HMMM...cheeseburger and fries casserole? YUM!!!!

Unknown said...

I love that you have a fmaily cookbook. :)

PS - the oyster sauce in my recipe doesn't taste like seafood. i will not touch seafood of any kind but love this chicken. :) You could proably also leave the oyster flavor out - I may have when I fixed it. :)

Anonymous said...

I love it. Being famous for NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES !
And also, being called Swamp Queen. No wonder I like flying over here.
At least your post followed the general theme. Sometimes my Fun Monday's have goats on them.

Sauntering Soul said...

Oooh dang those both sound good.

Anonymous said...

What an heirloom...I love the recipes hand-written by my mother-in-law...it's like a "piece" of her is in my kitchen with me when I cook those.

Mini cheesecakes are a great idea...little treats you can just pop in your mouth. I'm with you, though, I'd take a strawberry topping over cherry any day.

Anonymous said...

I like the binder idea. All of my hand-me-down recipes are in a big box. I bet I would use them more often if they were organized like that. Hmmm.

Kila said...

What a very special gift!

Grandma's recipes are the best ;)

Jenni said...

And I thought all you knew how to make in the kitchen was mixed drinks.

Pamela said...

cool wedding gift idea. especially for a family member.

alisonwonderland said...

what fun to see your recipe "tweaks" penciled in! i'm definitely going to have to try the cheesecakes with my little chef (my 8yo son).

ChrisB said...

That was a great wedding present. I have a lot of my recipes in plastic covers it's a great way to keep them clean. Many of my actual recipe books are covered in food marks I'm a messy cook.

kitten said...

I made a mistake on my recipe. I did a correction on my blog. Enjoyed yours also.

Anonymous said...

what i want to know is how come i didn't get one of those for my wedding?

that is so cool to have;)

Anonymous said...

That is one of the best wedding presents I have heard of to this day. What a great idea.

I have a recipe book, but I haven't really put anything in it. I need to copy off of your book and make one like that.