Monday, September 10, 2007

Fun Monday's Good Deed's

It is finally Fun Monday! I am so happy to get back to it! Even though having a Monday off felt kinda nice too! So this weeks Fun Monday Queen is none other than Nikki aka Weird. She has challenged us to do a good deed! She asked that it not be something we have done in the past, but rather something we go and do during the 2 weeks we had between Fun Monday's!

My first deed happened quite by accident. I didn't need to go visit an old folks home. Turns out all I needed to do to make the senior citizens smile was to go grocery shopping wearing my favorite T-Shirt! Clink the link to read about it, trust me it's that good you don't want to miss out. Willowtree was glad he didn't miss out!! ;)

Both of my younger boys are in preschool this year. The middle guy has the same teacher he had last year and the youngest has the teach across the hall. Last year our teacher was the only one out of 4 that wanted in on the paper recycle pick up I was offering. Well of course my middle guys teach wants to continue, so we got the teacher across the hall to recycle all her classes paper too! Woo Hoo! So good deed #2 is picking up, sorting it to take out the stuff that inevitably 3 and 4 year olds want to feed Mr. Munchy Mouth, and taking it along for the ride to the recycle center (transfer station...it is stinky there) with the rest of my recycles! Before you know it I will have the whole school district recycling paper!!

My boys preschool teachers are at a new school...same program just in a different school...added 2 more teachers at the previous location to serve even more kiddos. Needless to say they were not allowed to bring along much. Lots of things were purchased new and then the $$$$ was gone. This program offers these neat lil things called Book bags. They are these fabric tote bags filled with one book and a game and 3 or so activity sheets for the child to do..."homework". They were not allowed to bring ANY of the pre-made games, which there were at least 4 copies of each game. They also only have one book per title, which they were used to having like 6 so that if one was misplaced it was ok. The bag wasn't put out of commission until the book was found or a replacement bought. One of the teachers mom's spent all summer making these cute lil tote bags, all 100 of them! At orientation they told us that the bags were not ready as they had to make all the games from scratch. Here comes me with good deed #3. I offered to color cut paste...whatever it was they needed to help them get the book bags ready I would do! I also asked for a list of the books so that when I am out at used book stores I know what they need and can get them extra copies.
I have made these games before. It is extremely time consuming. All the cutting, coloring, pasting... I have done this when they offered to let parents come in and choose a game and make their own to keep... here is the one I made...Here are a couple I was given already to get cuttin' on...

I love this preschool program so much, I am tempted to go back to college (scary scream!)I love these teachers so much!
But ya know these are things I would do even without Nikki's Challenge. That is just who I am. I am the woman that holds the door open for strangers, the one that picks something up that a stranger dropped, I smile at strangers and most times say Hello. I enjoy sending out thinking of you cards or just because gift packages. As for the bigger scale good deeds like giving blood.... I have a fear of needles so that would be a true challenge for me! Go check out all the warm fuzzy amazing things the rest of the Fun Monday peeps have done!

23 comments:

Emma in Canada said...

You did good. I did sign up to be a playschool room rep, I wonder if that counts?

I think the recycling is great, my daughter's old school was very big on it, it's part of the Grade 4 program. My son's school...not so much.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your recycling efforts, you are certainly committed to the cause, even going so far as to recycle a post. Now that's commitment! But I'm afraid that I'm one up on you, I recycled two posts for this challenge.

Beccy said...

Great deeds, I find that it is the same few people who are always volunteering to help.

Those games look fun.

Hootin Anni said...

I love the fact you 'said' "I'd do them even without Nikki's Challenge"...that shows me you're a terrific lady. High 5!!!!

Fianna said...

I love it! I think the recycling program is awesome.

Did you eat any paste?

Debs said...

I love that you got the teachers to recycle their papers. That is just too cool!

I had those exact same games in my Pre K class...back when I taught pre school. I miss that job so much!

Anonymous said...

Awesome good deeds. I am uber impressed with your recycle program. That takes a lot of work, but is so well worth it.

Robinella said...

They just canned the so-called recycling pick up for our neighborhood and that means we have to take away ourselves. I don't have a problem with it, I just wonder how many people who did it when it was convenient are NOT doing it now. Sad to think about really. I miss CA where they recycle EVERYTHING. I had containers lined up in the kitchen and could use the same trash bag, save for smells, for an entire week.

Of course, VA made the decision a few years back to take OTHER peoples garbage (ie NY), so recycling isn't high on their priority list. Ok, rant over.

Nice job!!!!

Beckie said...

I wish you were a parent at my kid's school - we need more parents like you!

Anonymous said...

LOL love the t-shirt LOL And a great deed on the recycling front! More schools need people like you. Great Fun Monday!

Anonymous said...

The t-shirt made me giggle.

And doing the recycling - a VERY great deed for you to take it on. Here in Oregon, we recycle EVERYTHING already, it is expected - I wish more people around the US would take your initiative.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you stay very busy being good!

ChrisB said...

Recycling has got to be a very good deed. I love the games you made. I recall doing that type of thing many years ago when I ran a pre-school, so I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into this sort of thing.

The Ex said...

That is bleeping cute! Happy Fun Monday!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I loled at your tee shirt, too.

I'm thinking about starting some kind of green effort at our school, too. When I see all the plastic and cans being tossed, it kills me!

Love that this is a way of life for you; I'm sure it's a blessing to those around ya.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Gah! Way to make me feel like crap!

Kidding!! Wonderful deeds!! I wish I had more time to do things like that!

Anonymous said...

That is seriously above & beyond and the fact that you were going to do it anyway makes you so much more genuine.

Tiggerlane said...

Deeds for kiddos is awesome...plus, you are helping out in a way that will be appreciated by many. And doing it with JOY!

Anonymous said...

Recycling does take effort, so I applaud you. Those games sound like fun:).

I think you'd make a very cool neighbour. Fancy moving across the pond?

Anonymous said...

Those are really good deeds, and really time consuming (except the first one). It is wonderful that there are people like you around to do the things that others would find overwhelming. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I bet all those teachers think of you as their favorite parent! Good for you!

Pamela said...

I had a job away from home and rarely got to help at school.

I would occasionally do something special for a classroom visit.

I'm glad you enjoy it and GET to do this.

alisonwonderland said...

spending time in my kids' classrooms has been one of the best parts of being a mom!