These pictures should have been in this post. The Spillway is a favorite place of mine in KS. It is located at Tuttle Creek Lake, that lake has a dam. Here is a little history on the Spillway courtesy of Wikipedia.
"The value of the dam was proven during the Great Flood of 1993, when floodwaters reaching up to 63 feet (19 m) above normal were held back. However, when the dam reached capacity in July 1993, it necessitated the first release of the spillway. All 18 gates on the spillway were raised 4 feet (1.2 m) during the peak of the flood, producing a flow rate of 60,000 cubic feet per second (1,700 m³/s). The roar of the water was audible half a mile (800 m) away and some people in nearby Manhattan reported hearing the noise. After three weeks the gates were closed, revealing a 20-foot (6.1 m) deep canyon that had been carved in the earth of the spillway channel. The exposed rock is 290 million years old."
I took these photos of the Spillway in August 1995. If I remember correctly they have the Spillway fenced off now so that people are unable to climb down in it. Maybe this July I will try to make it up there and take current photos of it. Click on any of these to make them bigger.
I was always in awe to look at what water could do to rock and earth. Back then I didn't know how old the rock was that I was looking at. Whenever I was there I always felt like I was on ancient sacred ground. 290 million years is pretty damn ancient!!
4 comments:
I was wondering why that looked so familiar, until I looked back at the date. Glad my ass isn't in any of them. Although I would smile at its small petite size....
Anyway, I love that area too, just beautiful.
Amazing photos! I would love to see the Spillway up close.
Love the pics!!!
Yup, gotta visit Tuttle Creek. It's on my list.
Post a Comment