Friday, February 15, 2008

Skin Deep

After watching 2 of my reality shows previously recorded with the help of my beloved DVR tonight I was about to pick another recorded show to watch when 20/20 came on and one of the stories caught my eye. I am guessing I have been living under a rock for quite some time since this is the first time I have heard about it. Which could be true, I only found out about blogs just 9 months ago. A rock I tell you.

So what am I babbling on about? I don't think you really want to know. OK, so I have your curiosity up now. I just want to warn the reader's of this post that the links I will provide contain photos that may be disturbing to some viewers and is not for the faint at heart. tee hee. No seriously, it really is only for adult eyes, make sure no children will be peering over your shoulder.

I have a 3 minute clip from the 20/20 story,not the entire story I watched, but you will get the gist. Let's just say, I saw dead people....on display. Here you go.
This is the exhibit I want to go see. If you go to that link, at the bottom of the page it lists all the places having that exhibit currently on display. I wouldn't mind seeing this one, but I really do feel that they are acquiring their "models" in a really shady way. If I am going to give someone my money I want to give it to the first one that has consent from the person or their family. I do NOT want to give it to that schmuck Arnie Geller, he's your typical greedy CEO.

I have so many things I want to talk about concerning this but am lacking in someone to talk with. I guess that's why I have shared. Have you heard about this? What are your thoughts?
I feel that once we die our body is just flesh and bones, that what was loved about us is no longer present in the body. It's just a shell. Due to feeling that way I see nothing wrong with this as long as permission is obtained first. Some people request that their bodies be donated to the exhibit prior to their death, much like those that donate their bodies to medical science. Which is why I'd rather see the first one I linked to.
Now you may commence in telling me what a sheltered life I live, or ask me if it's comfortable living under that rock. How about telling me what a sicko I am for sharing this. I can take it. I've got some tough skin. Get it?! I crack me up!

15 comments:

willowtree said...

Eeewww gross! I wouldn't have sex with any of those corpses. Ahh, I mean...interesting post.

Fianna said...

I guess just one more reason we get along so well. I love dead people, in a completely non-sexual way, WT!!

I saw the exhibition in Houston and was absolutely fascinated. It was just a bit before I moved to the great desert and seeing the exhibition was higher on my list than seeing some friends. Ummm...oops.

It is fascinating. From what I recall, there were signs indicating that the bodies on display had been donated and who they were, however, if I remember properly, it was early on in the Body World Phenom, so perhaps it was easy to find bodies. They didn't need enough for shows at Talbots.

I am a donor. I would prefer however that my body parts get distributed to people that it will help and not somewhere that will profit off my sexy skeleton.

Call me...I would be happy to chat about this endlessly.

Kaytabug said...

WT~ Ha ha ha

fianna~ I can count on you to get me.
Body World and Bodies, 2 different companies, the Bodies is all about the all mighty dollar so they don't care where and how they acquire the bodies they just want to meet the demand, aka get more $$. More bodies= more shows=more $$. This is why I would rather see the Body World show.
We'll talk later!!

Junebug said...

I must have been living under the same rock as you. But no surprise. I would prefer that the donors and family consented of course. I don't have any desire to see one though.

Beckie said...

Well that is just Interesting. Of course, I am under the rock and had not heard about it until now. That is what I get for living in small town America. Thank goodness for the Internet.

I have some sort of morbid curiosity and I think it would be really interesting to see. I do think it would be better if they had consent from the donors.

This is an interesting topic. I missed 20/20 last night because I was trying to finish my mind fuck book.

the planet of janet said...

i saw the body world exhibit when it was in my town. it was absolutely fascinating. they indicated also that all their bodies were intentionally donated to that particular exhibit. especially because there was a specific plasticene process that they used.

anyway, it was an amazing experience to see this. not creepy (except for one that i found disturbing and to this day cannot figure out the rationale of the donor -- email me and we can discuss this one!)

Unknown said...

My mom called me all in a tither yesterday over this. Looks like it'll be in KC soon so maybe we'll pop down and see it.

Kaytabug said...

junebug~ I'm glad I am not the only one left that hadn't heard about this.

beckie~ Yea! Another fellow Rock dweller! I think it would be interesting to see. I am going to try to see the one in St. Louis and in Milwaukee.
Did you finish the mind fuck book? Was it good?

janet~ that is so cool! Did any of your kids go see it? I forgot to ask...maybe I'll email you again tomorrow.

lisa~ After emailing you back and forth I forgot to ask if your Mom wants to see it?

Sauntering Soul said...

This exhibit came to Atlanta a couple of years ago. I have to be honest, I have a very weak stomach and had no desire to go. A few of my friends went and found it fascinating.

I'm not opposed to it if the person consents ahead of time. I just won't be going to see them.

Jenni said...

I'd heard about it and I wouldn't mind going to see one of the exhibits, but as a cheapskate $25 sounds like too danged much. I really am not that concerned about where they got the bodies as long as they aren't killing people for the purpose of an exhibit. I would think it would be somewhat difficult to get the body of someone whose family objected unless they lived in a country where they don't have the legal right to decide what happens to the remains. If they live in a country like that, well, they can't be surprised.

There is nothing sacred to me about a dead body. The person who died doesn't need the body any more. Neither do the relatives for that matter. It's an empty shell. I do think it's nice to respect the wishes of the family. The family and friends left behind are the whole reason we have funeral services and such, but really the body is nothing without the life it once held.

Personally, I would like any of my usable organs to be harvested first then my body could be donated to science or buried very simply and sans chemicals. I'd like to be buried beneath a nice tree with a very simple, natural marker. I'd rather not be buried in some stone garden. Then again, it isn't like I'm going to know or care.

I do think necrophilia is wrong and just plain icky--no matter which corpses we're talking about, WT.

-Ann said...

One of the last places I went on the day I emigrated was the Museum of Science and Industry, so we could see BodyWorks. It was awesome - really interesting and thought-provoking. If I were a smoker, it would have made me quit. It definitely made me want to take better care of myself.

It also made me decide that I'm going to donate my body to science. I'd never wanted to be buried (was going for cremation) but even that seems like a waste.

Anonymous said...

Nope complete new to me, sounds kinda um gross

Robocop said...

We saw the same story that night. Very disturbing.

Anonymous said...

I saw the exhibit in Detroit and I loved it. It was fascinating and really educational.

Robinella said...

We actually had a group of homeschoolers trying to coordinate a trip to see this. The one they were trying to see was the "bad" one. I would definitely go with you to see the "good" one.