Some people give me a hard time about my favorite state. Some don't understand why I love her so. It's not like I haven't been to any other state. Take a look at that map. I only need to visit 8 more states before I can say I have seen them all!
I was blessed as a child. My grandparents took me with them in their RV several times. I got to visit places most children only see in books. Times may have changed but I feel that most children never leave their home state. If they do it is most likely that they only travel to the states that boarder theirs. I had been to all of the states West of the Mississippi by the age of 7.
My Mom loves telling the story of when I came back from my first trip with my Grandparents, I was 5 and I told her I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. She asked What? I replied, "Retired."I love my Grandparent's for showing me that there was more out there than just my backyard. I love to travel and take road trips because of them. I visited almost all of the states East of the Mississippi once I was an adult. I miss them. I know they live on in me and that I will do my best to show my boys more than our own backyard.
If you want to ...create your own personalized map of the USA
14 comments:
I am smiling so big, seeing a pic of your grandparents! Your Grandpa is such a great memory from my childhood!!
I agree that most people don't get outside of their home state much. I have traveled so little, my family has traveled so little. Of course, that is part of the reason that my Bucket List included a trip for my parents. They need to see something other than Kansas and Texas!!
Your boys - now they need to see Texas! ;)
What?! You've never been to Michigan? Get thine ass over here. We could get in a lot of trouble together.
What a sweet post! Which makes me feel shamed for the one question I have....are you wearing a garter on your thigh in the picture with your grandparents?
My Gram and Pop loved to travel, too, and they took us with them a few times. They had a little camper on the back of their pickup bed, so it was pretty crowded and we didn't go with them too far or too often, but I have fond memories of the times we did.
You were a very lucky little girl to have such incredible grandparents!!
I want to be retired when I grow up too!!
I will look forward to that post featuring your Grandma's treasure!
I have 16 states left to see. :) A few more than you but I've knocked a few states off and Canada i nthe last two years. :)
I got a lot of my states visited with my grandparents. I always went on vacations with them too. :)
Love your photo!
I'm back...just wanted you to know there is something waiting for you on my Wednesday blog!!
That was a super sweet picture and post. I'll have to download that map and see how many I've seen too. Not as many as you, though, for sure.
Taking a road trip around the states is on our list of things to do with the boys in a few years. RePete is too young to really understand and enjoy just yet.
Are you going to do the same for your boys?
fianna~ Glad you got a big smile! Hey your folks got to see Oklahoma too! Are you saying Aunt Fianna wants to have the boys for the summer? Ok your on!!
nikki~ That sounds like fun!!! I like trouble.
SS~ Thanks! Yes, that is a garter on my thigh. Most likely it was purchased at a old time western themed gift shop. I bet my 7 year old self saw the purple silky loveliness and begged my grandparents for it!
jenni~ Those are some of the best memories.
alison~ Yes, I know I was. Funny thing about wanting to be retired when I grow up...I will have nothing to retire from. Being a Mom is the job I have had the longest and I will never retire from that.
mariposa~ Don't get you hopes up too high it is defiantly not the family jewels!
lisa marie~ 16 isn't bad at all! I haven't been to Canada! Thanks!
hootin' anni'~ I'll be over!
robinella~ Oh yes! I plan to do the same with my guys too. I think we need to wait another 5 years though...so our youngest (who is very close to Re-Pete's age) is old enough to have fun and appreciate it!
Except for Alaska, I've been to all the states you haven't.
WT~ must you rub it in?
I want to be retired, too.
jealous that you had wonderful grandparents. My only living grandparent (grandma) was senile when I was born.
I did get to enjoy my hubby's grandparents, tho after we were married.
How great that your grandparents took you to so many different states. I would like to see more of Canada and the States, we used to go home to England for holidays so I haven't been to too many spots in North America.
Post a Comment