He is the type of kid that loves to please. If he likes you he will try his hardest to please you. This translates into homework or seat work. If he likes a teacher he will always try his hardest to do what they ask of him. If he doesn't like the teacher he could give 2 fucks what he does for them. The later was this year.
In an attempt keep from having a repeat of this past year in 6th grade I have to email a list of attributes I would like my sons teacher to posses to a couple of staff members that are involved in student placement.(The Principle does not allow teacher requests.Instead asks for attributes to match to a teacher.) This is no guarantee. Especially since he is in Specialized instruction for Math. They tend to have just a couple of teachers that take all the kids that go to specialized instruction so that the schedules and instruction times don't conflict. So to me this means that my request is all in vain. I will always have hope. I plan on writing in there the difficult year he had with his 5th grade teacher and that it is imperative that he be placed with a teacher that has a majority of the attributes I list. All are things that the 5th grade teacher, in my opinion, does not posses. Just in case this might help someone else I will share the list. It is LONG. Feel free to scroll down.
*Positive attitude*Praises students OFTEN*Empathy*Enthusiasm*Provides positive reinforcement*Students easily detect the teacher's love for job and subject*Support and concern for students*Takes time with students*Allows for creativity*Is supportive and encouraging*Is smiling, caring and loving*Treats students with respect*Does not condescend*Avoids embarrassing students in class*Is firm in a kind manner*Provides personal help*Takes time to explain concept*Gives individual attention*Accepts individual differences*Clarifies for understanding*Creates a sense of fun with the learning task*Avoids criticizing students*Is fair*Allows for spontaneity*Has a sense of humor; is relaxed*Has a kind spirit*Is sensitive to students' mistakes, they take time to help students
overcome their mistakes through patient, clear instruction.*comfortable atmosphere*Keeps accurate records of: Work completed, Grades *Variety in teaching, variety provides for renewed interest in the
subject matter. Use variety in how they have students work together,
not always pairing the same ones together. They provide a variety
of learning activities. *Is willing/open to allow/try behavioral interventions and make classroom accommodations/modifications for child with ADHD.
*Has a good rapport with parents
*Has a good line of communication with parents
*Avoids rushing students
7 comments:
looks pretty thorough to me.
my daughter is the same way with teachers. if she likes the teacher, she'll walk through fire for her/him. this year her favorite subject is math.
she hates math. but the teacher is stellar. so she loves it -- and has an A+
doesn't like her english teacher. grade? iffy.
My son had a 2nd grade teacher that had the reputation of "disliking" little boys. The next year my daughter had her and it was fine but the next year my baby boy (yes, I had 3 children in 2 1/2 years) was scheduled to be in her class. I raised my voice ever so gently and said "no" and they put him in another class. She was old and ready to retire and should have been fired. Go figure. Hope everything works out for your sweet son. Have a good week.
Judy
G.r.e.a.t list. That should set them back a little speechless.
I wonder if all teachers start out thinking they are going to be the best ever -- and then they just get calloused and bitter.
I've seen it all to often.
My niece is going to be in 6th grade next year too! I can't believe it. It seems like just last year I was changing her diaper. Okay, not really - I try to avoid changing diapers if at all possible.
I don't have kids but it looks like a pretty thorough list to me too. I hope he has a better year next year.
That would be a great teacher!
I have high hopes for my oldest's year in 6th grade next year!
I can't believe I never commented on this. I had it on my screen for days...sorry, I am arriving late.
I can't think of anything to add to the list, even given the extra time, as you have obviously put great care into creating the list.
I would like to say how awesome it is though that you are such an advocate for him and are working so hard to ensure he is well cared for at school. Kudos woman!
Sounds thorough. I love that you can do that. I have no idea if that is done at our schools but it should be.
Post a Comment