Thursday, April 24, 2008

Numbers

I know I gave a tease of a post yesterday. I'm good like that. At the moment I am a tad preoccupied by a number I received at the DR today. So for now you will get something that wasn't in the preview.

I do not obsess over the number that shows up on a scale. I do not own a scale nor will I ever own one. The number that is my weight has never mattered to me. Today it is starting to matter. I was shocked when the nurse told me my number. I didn't say anything to her, I didn't react until she left the room. I then just kept repeating that number like a question. It has been 5 hours since I was told my number and I blurt the number out like someone with Tourettes. (sorry) I even have started including some form of fuck along with my number. I am still in disbelief at how fucking high my number is. I have known that I am not sitting at my ideal weight, but I never thought I was truly overweight. I thought I was still in the range.
Let's look at some other numbers shall we?

BMI short for Body Mass Index. My BMI is 26.5, if I say I am 6 foot (I am only 1/4 of an inch away) my BMI is 25.8 both numbers fall in the overweight category.

Normal weight BMI: 18.5-24.9
Overweight BMI: 25-29.9

At my current number(weight) I need to loose 20 pounds to fall within normal range. And that would just be the high end of the normal BMI range. I would be okay with that because the last time I was at the low end of the BMI range for my height I was a freshman in High School, I was just 14 years old.

Though I do remember the first day of Gym class my freshman year...Fianna you might remember this... We had to be weighed and measured...and the upper class men(probably Juniors or Seniors) enjoyed guessing the girls weight before they were weighed. They said they had not guessed incorrectly within 5 pounds either way all day long. I loved making them be wrong. They guessed what they thought I weighed at least 15 pounds less than what I did. No one has ever believed my weight. I guess I carry it well, maybe it's just evenly dispersed. So you see why my number never meant anything to me. I have always looked less that what I am....god I hope that is still true now.

I think it is. When I told my friend what my number was she said "NO WAY! You do NOT look that number." Instead of telling her to stop trying to shove sunshine up my ass I explained to her what my weight was when we met, which was when my oldest was 3 yrs old. What my weight was right before I found out I was expecting my 3rd child...even what it was the summer of 2006. It put it into perspective for her. Even after the perspective check, she still thought I do NOT look my number. I was telling her I needed to loose 30 lbs if I want to be what I was right before finding out I was expecting my 3rd baby. That number would make my BMI 22.3. For now, I will be happy to be a 24.
Just so you know, I am aware that one could figure out my number if they had the inquiring mind to do so, just keep it to yourself please. Feel free to share your BMI with me.

12 comments:

Beckie said...

Holy cow, you are tall. I want to hang out with you - I love people who make me feel short, but not short and fat.

My BMI - higher than yours and that is with my recent weight loss. I have to lose 20 more lbs to make it in the high end of normal.

Jenni said...

I have no idea what my BMI is and I wouldn't know how to figure your weight from yours. I do know I weigh about 10-15 pounds more than I would like right now. I can't believe you're almost 6'! I have always thought taller people carry weight better than short folks like me. Anyway, here's to both of us meeting our goals!

Kila said...

I don't even want to know what my BMI is. The last 1-2 years have been bad. But at least I carry it evenly spread out and not all in one spot like some unfortunate folks, and I still have a waist (though a large one). So I'm grateful for that ;)

We can be horrified together. I knew there was a reason I didn't like math ;)

kitten said...

I'm short and have always been very small. I had surgery 2001 and gained 65 lbs. I have tried and tried to loose it, but can't. I weigh more now than I did 9months preg with all 3. I need to loose 40 lbs to be on the high end of my number, which at this point I would be happy with. To be at my happy weight, not to small, not too big, I need to loose 50 lbs.

Anonymous said...

I am at the heaviest I have ever been. When I was anorexic I weighed 175 lbs and you could count my ribs. I will never fall into the standard BMI's. I am built line a linebacker.

Sayre said...

I've got another 74 lbs to go before I am at my optimal weight. And that's after having already lost 21 lbs. Sigh. Those babies really do a number on your metabolism, don't they?

I need to go figure out my BMI, but I'm betting it's higher than yours!!!

BTW, I tagged you over on my blog!

Sayre said...

That sound you hear? That would be me, moaning. I just went and visited a BMI calculator and discovered my magic number.

35.5.

Ouch.

Sauntering Soul said...

I just went and calculated my BMI and I'm not telling what it was. It's way worse than yours.

My holistic doctor weighed me about 2.5 weeks ago and I almost burst into tears. I had to directly directly to my regular doctor for an appointment after that. The nurse called me back and said "okay, let's get you on the scale". I groaned and she said "or we can just skip that part". I almost kissed her.

the planet of janet said...

wow, you are really tall! i had no idea!

and i hear you on the don't-look-like-my-"number" thing.

i have (i SWEAR) dense bones. it actually adds about 10 or 15 to the number that people THINK i am.

Courtney said...

Girlfriend, I think we have the same body. it's almost like I wrote this and put it on your site. I'm 5'11 and no one EVER believes my weight. Those darn short people!

Unknown said...

I had no idea you were that tall! I didn't look at your bmi thingamajobbie, but mine is currently too high too. Unlike you though, I have always been obsessed with my number forever. :( My number has always been good though until the last few years. :(

Robinella said...

We've already talked about this and we are probably about the same BMI. I did recently lose 7 lbs so only 23 more to go to be pre-kids weight again.

I'm like you though that I never worried about the number. I was always very thin and even now, being 30 over, nobody believes me about it. It's a blessing that we hide it well.

I'll be posting about how I lost this first 7 in a day or two.