Just want to thank those of you that showed such concernieosity(yes, I just made that up) on my Leap Day post. I said it was an internal struggle over something RIDICULOUS! It was silly and ridiculous. Not worthy of the time wasted struggling over it in my mind. I only blurted it out on my blog for lack of anything to write about. It was a thought that crossed my mind and I typed it down. I will try to be more careful about what I type down on my blog. Part of me wanted to do one thing the other part something else and I was fighting with myself about something stupid. I do this a lot. I should have spared all you caring folks from my silliness!
I spent all that time cleaning the living room carpet only to have mud tracked in from the dog and kids on Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I hate my life. This makes me want to go to Lowes, get a floor detail, buy laminate flooring, have them install it...all to make my life a tiny bit easier and a little less stressful...if only for the next year and a half. That is about how long we will be in this house, that we just bought a year and a half ago. Yeah, we didn't think this through to well. Since ya'll want to hear a struggle here's one that is not so silly. Do we spend the $$ to put laminate in our living room area when we are selling in a year and half and know that we will not get that $$ back in the selling price? Or do we just deal with the almost white unforgiving 5 year carpet that is now 8 years old?
A month after we bought the house we had vinyl fencing and chain link installed for our backyard. We won't get that $$$ back in the sell of our house either. I think we will be lucky to have our house sell for the amount we bought it for. We will need to replace the carpets on the stairs...the cats have used it for a scratching post even thought they have and use the BIG cat tower we bought them when we first moved in. If we can't get some stains out downstairs we may have to replace those carpets too. Then we will have to paint the entire house,interior. Remember the wall art my younger 2 have blessed me with? The concrete drive way is cracked and sunk in a little in one place. Oh, and we will have to replace the window in my oldest sons room. The part that you use as leverage to push up to open the window, I think it is called a sash? it broke off, is not fixable and will just need to be replaced. Theses are the things I can think of, then you have the inspection and whatever the buyers want you to fix...
Part of me thinks it is a waste of $$$ to put in laminate in our main living area. The $$$ spent would be worth bringing down my stress level, and the ease of cleaning up after 3 boys and 2 dogs. It also would be a good selling point for our house over another comp. house with only carpet. Any ideas? Suggestions?
So much for March coming in like a lamb. We did have a high of 67 on Saturday and 77 on Sunday though it was very windy. Yesterday we had sleet and snow and a high of 30. Same for today. I know I shouldn't complain...I am thankful I am not in WI or MI. I feel sorry for those of you that are! Winter can kiss my ass.
8 comments:
I guess I'm afraid of the financial responsibility being all on me since I'm single and, therefore, I've never owned my own home. I don't understand why you wouldn't get the money back for laminate floors or your fence.
I have original hardwoods in my rental house built in 1946. The bathroom has ceramic tile (white which I hate with a passion) and my kitchen has terra cotta ceramic tiles.
I don't think I'll ever live in a home with carpet as long as I live. It seems like a lot of people don't want carpet so that's where my confusion comes in about you saying you won't make the money back.
wow. i dont know if i have anything intelligent to say about this. i hate that living-in-limbo feeling of not fixing stuff or doing stuff because you're just gonna sell anyway.
the best i can do is send hugs. :-)
Places like lowes are selling the lament wood flooring for less then a dollor a square foot. This is way cheaper the carpet and it should be easy to maintain. This is what we have to do cause my kids have torn up the carpet wow is it bad in my place... they have wood floors that are selling just as cheap and would increase the value of the house but then you'd only get the money back of ya'll put it in yourselves.. meaning thats how you cover cost.. the wood flooring that they have cheap is easy to install btw
Only a year and a half. Email please.
I am with SS, after having hardwoods, I am kinda disgusted by carpet. What carpet hides is frightening. I would definitely lean towards a house with laminate over carpet.
As for the fencing, you needed that with the boys and the dogs, that was an investment for the family, so even if you don't get the $$ back, it has served a good purpose to you while you were in the house.
As for painting & perhaps the window, check out Habitat for Humanity's website, they have stores that resell excess materials from their projects. There are several in your state, not sure if they are within driving distance. You may be able to find deals there. Otherwise, check out the crap shelves at Lowe's for whatever they are called..seconds, don't want the paint, cuz the color don't match cans.
And for even more helpful advice, I clip Kitten's claws. Not only is it fun to force her to obey me and watch her squeal, it protects the furniture, the other cats and me.
I have been having writers block as well. Must be in the air.
glad your internal struggle is over..I say you put the laminate in and enjoy it for a year!! it will be worth it!!
Oh, I feel ya on the $$ issue. Way to o well. Let's not talk about the unexpected 8K on a roof.....
Snow can kiss my ass too.
(BTW- your prize is ready! I just have to buy a bubble mailer big enough to send it!)
If I had it ALL to do over again, I would always do things to my house FOR ME, and not with SELLING it in mind.
Some of the things we chose because it would be easier to sell just don't please me.
If you hate the carpet.. get rid of it.
(Ps. I don't like laminate flooring. I put it in and I hate it. But maybe not everyone spills buckets like I do)
Post a Comment