Monday, March 31, 2008

Fun Monday Inspiring Quotes

Today's Fun Monday hostess is none other than Robin @ Pensieve. She has asked us to share our favorite and/or inspiring quotes.

As far back as the age of 8 I have collected quotes. Whenever I saw a quote that spoke to me I would write it down. I have a whole folder full of pieces of paper with quotes written on them. I would write quotes on my notebooks at school. I LOVE quotes.The only hard part about this assignment was choosing a FEW of my favorites!!

This first one I heard on one of my NPR most emailed stories podcasts, while my hubby was deployed during '05/'06. I had it posted on my fridge and read it daily. I would read it many, many times throughout the course of a day.

" We are not given the burdens we deserve, we are given the burdens we can bear."

I don't know who originally said the quote, but it became my mantra.

"Beauty is everywhere - only some can see it. ~ Confucius

Here are three that I didn't write down who said it or where I found them when I stumbled upon them....

" A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you today just the way you are."



"Value yourself. The only people that appreciate a doormat are people with dirty shoes."

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood. Is it so bad to be misunderstood then? ... To be great is to be misunderstood ." ~ Emerson


"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far you can go." ~T.S. Elliot


"It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~ Kahlil Gibran



" Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive."

~ Anäis Nin


"Just living is not enough...one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Andersen

"If Presidents don't do it to their wives, they do it to their country." ~ Mel Brooks



Alrighty then, so that was just a tiny sampling of my favorites. I had to force myself to stop. Go back to Robin's for the entire list of folks participating this week. I am totally looking forward to reading what EVERY ONE'S favorite quotes are!

32 comments:

Alison said...

those are wonderful...very inspirational...thanks so much for sharing them.

Patience-please said...

OOOHHH!! Great good job! I shall now put your quotes into my folder. Thank you so much. I hadn't heard that Emerson quote and it is a gem.

all the best-
Patience

Kim said...

Beauty truly is everywhere.

Thanks for the kind quote you left on my blog.

Carolyn said...

Excellent quotes! These go straight into my quotes file. Thanks for sharing.

IamwhoIam said...

Kahlil Gibran, your not the only who quoted him. Gee it's been years since I've read Kahlil.
Thanks for Sharing, some very fitting quotes

Faye said...

I can understand how much your first quote meant to you while separated from your husband and worrying about his safety. A good reminder for all of us that we can handle more than we think we can.

Pamela said...

You've been collecting since you were 8? Amazing. I

Jo Beaufoix said...

That first one really touched me. They are all good, but the first one is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I like the dirty shoe/door mat one. Great list!

Molly said...

I love each and every one of your quotes. "If Presidents don't do it to their wives, they do it to their country." We have definitely had some of this throughout history. But most importantly, I plan "to learn to dance in the rain."

Hootin Anni said...

LOL....on the last one by Mel Brooks!!! Couldn't be any 'truer than that'!!

And the first one....my grandmother said something similiar to this here words were "God only gives us what we can handle in life".

Hootin Anni said...

...oops. That should read "her" words...not here

kitten said...

Wonderful Choices! I Love the 1st one. I had little pieces of paper all over my house of this quote I'm fixing to share, but nobody seem to pay attention to it. So, I cut of pieces of contruction paper and put it in my door way from the kitchen. I forgot to add it to my FM.
All things are possible through Jesus Christ who strenthens me. Philippians 4:13

Anonymous said...

Great quotes. You gave this so much more though than I did.

Joy T. said...

LOL Gotta love Mel Brooks LOL All great quotes!

storyteller said...

Like you, I’ve collected quotes for most of my life. Thanks for sharing these. I especially enjoyed the ‘learning to dance in the rain’ quote … and loved being reminded of Emerson’s … ‘To be great is to be misunderstood.”
Hugs and blessings,

Tiggerlane said...

I almost chose a Kahlil Gibran quote today - he says something about children being the arrows in your quiver, or somesuch, that I really like. But I couldn't find it in time. Great job!

Jill said...

about burdens... i have to agree there. i have had some ups and downs in my life and sometimes i have a sneaking suspicion that there is a lot more to come, and it makes me afraid, after all, if i've made it through all this, what more heavy burdens am i able to carry now with all the knowledge i've gained, the patience and empathy i've earned.. scary! but i know it will never be more than i can bear...

Sauntering Soul said...

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive."

I love this quote. In fact, I love it so much I have it on a magnet on my refrigerator.

Jientje said...

"It is if you give of yourself that you truly give"
You gave us a wonderful post to read here, thanks!

Stephanie mama drama said...

Oooo! Very intriguing, you are!!

Sayre said...

I sat here nodding my head sagely while reading your post - then burst into laughter with Mel Brooks.

You're both geniuses.

ChrisB said...

All great quotes~ I agree trying to choose just a few has been difficult.

my4kids said...

I have always loved quotes also and have books full of them. I collect them for scrapbooking as well.
Great quotes!

Celeste said...

Truly a great collection.

the planet of janet said...

my post went far afield from being able to just remember my favorite quotes ... but yours just reminded me of one of my favorites about friendship:

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

that pretty much says it all :-)

BS said...

Wonderful choices for this week - I have a notebook full of quotes from back in the day when I was a lovestruck teenager !

the rotten correspondent said...

Those are terrific. I especially like the one about dancing in the rain.

Aren't quotes fun? I kind of keep a collection of them too.

Unknown said...

You have a lot of good quotes, I need to write some of them down. I like the doormat one esp.

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I can't believe it's taking me so long to get to everyone (forgive me!!)! I'm bouncing around all over the list, and I hope I don't accidentally miss anyone.

ANYWAYS...GREAT group of inspiring words here :). You made some good choices, ones I haven't seen over and over (love those, but it's nice to see unfamiliar ones, too).

Your first quote about burdens reminds me of God's grace...He gives what we need WHEN we need it, not before...:).

I love the one about dancing in the rain (it's one of the ones I DID recall 'cause it's a favorite). And the Mel Brooks one? Too funny!

Thanks for joining in--you've added some inspiration to my loooong day!!

:)

Karina said...

Great choices! The T.S. Elliot quote is a strng one, I love it.

Sandy said...

Terrific job. Thank you.