Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Break for...

Yesterday while driving around running errands I stopped in the middle of the road flicked my emergency lights on, jumped out of my car and ran in front of my car, grabbed a box turtle and ran him across the road in the direction he was going and placed him out of harms way.

I'm just glad that the traffic wasn't busy during that time of day, plus it was a 2 lane portion of road so other cars could get around my dumb ass. At least I didn't stop traffic! But I am so happy that I saved the turtle. I see too many that didn't make it across the road, but instead made it to the other side...if you know what I mean.

I am hoping that this helps jump start my inner blogger. I am missing it.

14 comments:

Fianna said...

That is so sweet. I am proud of you!

I fear one of our neighborhood cats got ran over. I can't tell for sure and am too fearful to look to make sure...

Too many people just drive so fast not paying attention so you Rock!

Anonymous said...

Awwww dude, you have a turtle soft spot. And some good eyes, I would have missed the little green booger.

Beckie said...

In my mind's eye I see you getting out of your car, grabbing the turtle and sweeping it off to safety all while wearing your green ball gown.

The turtle thing was great for your karma!

Broad Meadow said...

I always feel sorry for the little guys. Box turtle just tryin to get by in the world. Never hurt anyone.

Sauntering Soul said...

You are a very kind person! And I hope it gets your blogging mojo going again too. I've missed you.

Anonymous said...

Aww, good for you saving that turtle. :)

the planet of janet said...

glad you saved the turtle (j-bear would be soooo happy)... but mostly i'm glad you're blogging.

Anonymous said...

I love your do goodery. You need a bumper sticker that says, "I brake for box turtles."

storyteller said...

Lucky turtle ;--)
I’m glad for it and for you and agree with AFF about the bumper sticker. I hope this ‘jump starts’ your ‘inner blogger’ too. Seems like a long time since we’ve heard much from you. Welcome back.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

I'll have to make you a bumper sticker..."I BRAKE FOR TURTLES"

I live at the end of our road and we are surrounded by water (or rather marshland) and the turtles cross our road all the time. Unfortunately, they take their sweet time so we feel the need to help them along.

I accidentally ran over one when I was a teenager and the pop sound it made still haunts me. I cried all the way to school. I'm a dweeb.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you are still among the living. Miss your posts. Hows the purse holding up?

Anonymous said...

I think that is so cool! I might have done the same if I had even seen the little guy.

Tiggerlane said...

Wow! I am impressed...that is true kindness! Just be careful of those other drivers!

Jenni said...

How about red eared sliders? Snappers? Are you partial to just box turtles? Isn't the box turtle the Kansas state reptile? Is it ornate? Eastern? Some kinda box turtle. The barred tiger salamander is the state amphibian, I believe. Oh, one more question. Would you let your cats play with the turtle? Is that cruel?