I have got something I really want to blog about but I do not want what I type to be found through a search engine. Please bare with me while all the words I do not want coming up in a search are altered. If any search is lead to this post that has to do anything with what I tried searching for yesterday then it will get deleted.
My Dad irritates the crap out of me. He does not take responsibility for the mess he's made for himself. I have tried to help him with his finances since he retired but he insists that there is nothing coming out of his checking account except a few of his bills. I know this to be a lie on his part but there is nothing I can do. He also refuses to let the pharmacy file his insurance to try and cover some of his diabetes supplies. He says he can barely make it month to month on his retirement. If he would accept my help with his account and let the pharmacy file his insurance, $$ wouldn't be so tight.
Since he won't take responsibility with his $$ he now has thought of a way to make $$, with the help of some really uninformed people that he calls friends. I think they just filled his head with delusions but that's just my opinion! So here is where I get creative. As most of you know my Grandpa was in Waldo Waldo Dos. He has a lot of really cool square things that he took with a camera. A few were taken when they were told not to. They were told if they did there would be legal ramifications. Only c0mbat ph0t0graphers could take the lil square things at the H place where a big mushroom was seen. (Are you all still following me?) Now someone put it in my fathers head that he could earn BIG $$$$$ for those ph0t*s. But he is afraid of the legal ramifications if he s0ld them. I have searched and found nothing either way. All I have come across is sites trying to preserve items from Waldo Waldo Dos, but they take the items as donations. Nothing mentioned about $$$. He has it in his head that some BIG zine or something like that will want them and pay him big $$$.
I am beyond irate I am infuriated! I was so mad yesterday that I was brought to tears more than once. Mad tears people. I can't even think of the last time I was brought to mad tears. My Mom thinks I need to let him know how upset this has made me. That those ph0t0s have no price tag, they are priceless to me. That I want to preserve his Waldo Waldo Dos ph0t*s. All my father sees is an easy way out of the mess he has made himself. Still not taking responsibility for his shit. My feelings will not matter to him, they won't change his mind. He even told me that this is important, not to blow it off, this could earn him some serious $$$, needed $$$. He seems to think that just because my hubby serves means that he can find out the answer to any milit@ry related question. I know that these things are just that, things. We can't take them with us when we die. Knowing that doesn't lessen my feelings though.
I want to go home and ste@l those albums. My Mom and father are coming here to visit in 10 days I am going to ask him to bring the albums so that I can scan them for future generations to see and know our family history. I just hope my Grandpa knows how proud I am of him, for the sacrifices he made, for serving his country, for being more of a father to me than my own. I love him and miss him so much.
12 comments:
I'd be kicking his ass too. If my mom even once suggested selling my grandfather's uniform from Waldo Waldo Dos I'd be infuriated. Seems like your dad needs to stop the get rich quick ideas and see the big picture.
I totally followed along. Too much to write in a comment - I think I will email you.
Okay I have to say that I didn't follow everything (place with a mushroom? huh?) but I think I got the general idea. I'm so sorry your dad is putting you through this. I would be mad as hell.
Would it make you feel any better to know that my dad bailed his girlfriend's son out of jail last month (he's a flaming homosexual which I have nothing against but it just adds a little more color and interest to the story) and then called my brothers and I begging for money to make it through the end of the month until his Social Security check came? He hasn't even told me or my younger brother he has a girlfriend - I know because the girlfriend is the aunt of a friend of mine and my friend told me. My older brother knows because his wife ran into my dad and the girlfriend at a fast food restaurant one time. My life is like a soap opera at times.
Ohhhhhhh, I think I just figured out what the place with the mushroom is.
Hang in there. I cry from anger quite often.
((((((((big huge hugs!!!!!)))))) I work with the elderly & disabled and I can honestly say that I hear stories similar to yours! It breaks my heart! I can not honestly say what I would do in your position - "family historical artifacts" are something that should be held for posterity IMHO(in my honest opinion). Maybe it is due to being adopted that I feel so strongly about that, but maybe not... My heart goes out to you! Don't hold in your feelings though! It is NOT fair to you! Good luck!!
Linda
I understand how you feel about wanting to keep the original squares, but I think maybe you could scan them and have some nice reproductions made. It might require taking them some place to have it done professionally. I really don't think your dad can get in trouble for squares your grandfather took. If it's going to make him good money, let him do what he wants--after you get copies. I agree it won't help him for long. I also really doubt he could get much money from a magazine for them. I would think they'd have to be larger format and better quality than they are likely to be. A collector might pay a fair amount though. It certainly is only a short term bail out and not a long term solution to his problems.
I am sending hugs and understanding to you. There is a site http://www.owensarchive.com/index.php that sells historic photos and the price would indicate that your Dad will not be making enough to survive IF he were to sell any of the photos at all...maybe you could show him the site to prove your point...other then that, I personally, would scan the photos for my own preservation and I would create strong boundaries concerning my relationship with my father. I understand what pain you are dealing with.
I am so sorry he is doing this. He doesn't see it as anything important, just some things he has lying around that he can make money from. It is sad that he doesn't recognize what they mean to you.
If he makes any money off the pics, that money will also run out eventually. He will lean on you as much as you allow him to. Whoever said you need to set up boundaries was correct. You need to be careful to not let him take advantage of you and yours.
I am sure your Grandpa knew what he meant to you. We always were pestering him!
OK. This just showed up in my reader. WTF?
Anyway. I am so sorry about all this. I have relatives who get themselves into binds time after time after time, and never ever see it. Never. And it's like talking to a wall. And it is so frustrating because you know it doesn't have to be like that.
I hope you get to hang on to those things you cherish so much. Big hugs.
has he been evaluated for beginning dementia?
I may be way off base, but some of that stuff sure sounds familiar.
(((hugs)))
i understand your anger. i'm thinking he really doesn't know what he is talking about if he thinks this is the answer to his $$ prayers.
as a safeguard, tho, i totally agree that you should get the squares scanned and printed for yourself. preserve your archive and your sanity that way.
I think your dad is being a dillhole. Seriously. Don't ever try to part with those pictures. Legally the govt could take them. Don't ever part with something so cherished.
(((HUGS)))
And it sounds like no matter how much $$$ he made, he's still find himself a hole. I have a relative like that, too.
Post a Comment