We had a meet the teacher night last Friday. I was able, with the help of my hubby, to take the oldest to meet his teacher alone, without any distractions from the younger 2. This year they have what they call team teach. It is to help the students prepare for middle school when they will have a different teacher for every subject and switch rooms every hour. Technically he has 2 teachers this year. We met both. I really like the teacher that is NOT his homeroom teacher. But, I had a really great first impression of both of them. This year will be a better year than last year was for him. These teachers will be better than the one he had last year. Here is a little background on last year and the list I emailed to the powers that be in the hopes that they honor my request and try to place him with a teacher with certain attributes. Only time will tell if these teachers fit most of those attributes. I have hope that they will.
I switched kids with the hubby and was able to take my middle guy to go meet his Kndg teacher without the other 2. This did not go well for me. I know what matters most is the teacher. I think she will be a good teacher. She is fresh out of college, her first year teaching. Her first year in this district. My problems lay elsewhere. There are 22 kids in his Kindergarten class. His teacher does not have a teachers assistant. There is no bathroom in their classroom,which most Kndg classrooms in this district have a bathroom in the room. There is also no windows to the outside world. No sky lights, NOTHING. This is rather disturbing to me. Maybe it is just the fact that I deal with SAD every winter. They will have 2 recesses during the day. All of the MANY bathroom breaks will get them out of the room and into the hallways that contain some natural light. The white walls and florescent lights in the room made me feel like I was in some institution. They will also leave the room for lunch and for "specials" which rotates daily between music, art, PE, and library.
Another thing that makes this hard for me is the fact that I had put in for a transfer request for him to go to a different school within the district. Since it was not my "home" school I would have had to drive him to and from, no big deal but with my youngest already needing to be driven to preschool this would make for a minimum 3 round trips a day, 10-15 minutes one way. We also thought that we only had one year left here. Just recently the hubs said we are getting one more year tacked on to make it 2 more years. When I found that out I started thinking that maybe I should just have the middle guy go to the "home" school, esp since next year when the lil guy starts Kndg they would finally be able to go to the same school again. All this to say that he WAS approved to go to a different school that I am sure would have had a smaller class size, windows, and a bathroom! But I revoked my request. So I'm feeling like I made the wrong decision. Friday night I even dreamed about his school. All summer long though my middle guy would tell me that he wants to go to his "home" school. When I let him know school was only 2 weeks away his face lit up and exclaimed" I get to ride the bus?!!!!" It just broke my heart. He wanted to go to this school before ever stepping foot in the building. Even though I held his fate in what choice I made,I hope it was the right one. Right now I feel like I made the wrong one. I'm not seeing any positives, with the exception that generally a fresh out of college teacher is usually a great thing. I know it is the teacher that matters most. That has been my mantra the past couple days.
Now, if you made it through all my babel or even if you scrolled over it you get rewarded with pictures of my 2 school aged kiddos!
He appears short in this picture. He is not short. His head hits my shoulder so that makes him at least 5'7. I'll know for sure come Sept.8th when he has his physical.
He needs to quit slouching! Will you please look at the boats he has on his feet?!
Boo ha ha! I'm so happy he is mammoth enough to hide his name with his heed!
13 comments:
Well, did he have a good first day?!
I think you are dead on about first year teachers...their enthusiam is amazing. And I am not sure how much decorating she did before school but as the year goes on she will make that classroom her own and it will not look so much like an instution. I always think the no window thing is so odd...it was big with the public schools built here in the 60s and 70s and now they are renovating and putting windows in. I was always sort of glad to be in Catholic school for that very reason. I have huge issues with feeling cooped up.
Congratulations Mom...how did you manage on your first day of school? I hope you enjoyed your day!
ohhhh, look how cute they are, toddling off to school!
such big boys!!!!!
the middle one will be fine, you'll see. a fresh-faced, enthusiastic brand new kindergarten teacher is the best gift ever.
Aw, they'll both be fine. You will too. And you aren't kidding about those boys being tall! Or am I just really short? Don't answer that!
I am amazed that you did not include the pic of our middle one brushing his teeth and washing his hands before school!!! Must be a MOM thing! Love ya!
The no windows things sucks, but sounds like his teacher might be fun!
Your oldest is TALL - shouldn't be a surprise to me, but it is. My 13 yo daughter is 5'2" - I don't think she is going to be a very tall person.
Cute kids!
Tell us how it went tomorrow.
Bless your heart! My middle child went back to public school this year. (7th grade) The lady in the front office, after my 3rd trip to the school, asked me; Who is the most nervous? You are your son? I laughed and told her I wasn't really sure, but more than likely it was me. LOL! She helped brake the ice a little. That help!
Hope yall had a 1st good day!
Do you think you should move him now? Did everything go okay? And, how tall are you if he's at your shoulder at five seven???
Awwww...
I hope the K teacher has great fun with the kids! As for not having an assistant, I think she'll want one! Maybe the parents can take turns coming in for a couple hours here and there.
Your concerns are all things I would worry about, too. Deep breaths. It's usually not as bad as we think it will be.
I also beat myself up about this school or that school...
My oldest will be in 6th grade this year, too! He's excited about it. Moving up to the Jr High school.
How did your kindergartner like his first day? He might be really tired/crabby in the evening the first weeks, until he gets used to it.
no windows. just wrong.
no teacher aid.
... hmmmm.
I think I'll call and volunteer you? hee hee.
I hope their first day was better than you expected. I don't have kids but I imagine I would be a nervous lunatic on their first day of school every year if I did.
I cannot believe how tall the oldest is. He is taller than me! Although I do bet his younger brother, the middle, may very well end up taller!
Post a Comment