Today's Fun Monday is being hosted by Ann from For the Long Run. She gave us a tall order this week. Ann said the following: "I want to hear about a web site and not just about any old web site. I want to hear about a web site that's changed your life. A web site that you can't live without. A web site whose inventor you'd like to see win a McArthur Genius Grant."
This topic gave me quite a bit of difficulty. No website has changed my life. The only ones that I would be LOST without is I'm sure on everyone's list, Google and Wikipedia. Google has been my gateway to so many,many things. It helped me do research on how to properly care for a 3 toed box turtle that we rescued from a neighbor. It helped me find all kinds of info on ADHD , which also lead me to supplements that have helped my son. The internet in general was a link to so many many things while I lived in Germany for 3 years. It was my link to family, friends and all the goodies I couldn't buy overseas.
Since I am failing miserably here, how about a few of my favorites/staples.
All recipes.com has given me loads of dinner ideas over the years. A recent find for new ideas for the dinner table is Menus 4 Moms. It is set up wonderfully with a shopping list for the coming weeks menu but I just go through and pick and choose what meals sound yummy for my family.
I lived in NYC for 3 years , after moving I found Overheard in New York . How I wish I knew of it's existence while I lived there. I enjoy nothing more than overhearing other peoples conversations. I heard and saw some funny shit while riding the subways of NYC. Overheard in N.Y. has since added Overheard at the Beach, in the Office, Everywhere, and Celebrity Wit. When I am in need of a good laugh I always go to their site.
Sites that I have come to love, go to almost daily, and would have a very hard time if I was unable to visit frequently, are all of the blogs I read...most are listed on my sidebar, included as well are those that hear from me often in their comment section. Reading blogs is better than watching reality T.V. It is interactive, can be very educational, and LMAO funny.
Now that I blew this assignment go back to Ann's and read what other's chose for their life changing/can't live without websites.
25 comments:
You get a passing grade for that post Kaytabug even though you didn't pick one site you gave good reasons for liking the ones you listed.
I am glad to see that I wasn't the only one that struggled with this. My post is similar to yours...I will post it later.
Good job!
Those are favorite sites of mine, also.
Would you email me about the supplements that have helped your ADHD child? I have two such children! tsninns at yahoo dot come
Yep, reading blogs has changed things around here. Where I used to spend my evening zoning out and channel surfing, I spend it now reading the blog world.
Great choices! Google and Wiki are lifesavers to me. I kinda sorta love things (nouns) that turn into verbs because of their awesome-ness. So, gotta run and google what type of speech awesome-ness is. If google fails me, I will just wiki it.
wow. Google is a great choice. I'm always googling. Oh! and I look up recipes too. I guess I could have come up with many sites had I just thought about it.
As for caring for a 3 toed box turtle ... reminds me of when I was very small and my best friend got one.
She told me that if you "flush it down a toilet, a turtle take care of itself. " (say it, then you'll giggle)
You didn't blow it at all and these are great sites. I google daily!
Chicago has one of those overheard in sites somewhere, I seem to have lost it though.
I almost mentioned Wikipedia. I don't know why I didn't. I have heard about that overheard in NY one, I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the links!
I too when I first read the theme thought there is no website which changed my life but then suddenly I realized it wasn't true ! I started blogging because of a Website about Egyptian cat godesses, lol !
:::patting your head::: "Now, now, now...I don't think you botched the Fun Monday! You're just being honest. And besides, in all truthfulness, I think the sites you listed are indeed life changers...and each and every ONE of us should list the very same!!! You did good".
Happy Fun Monday.
Great post. I gotta have my Google also. I mean, I just gotta have!
Where would we be without Google? Or Allrecipes?!?! I'd wither away!
I actually have Google as my home page. Don't know what I'd do without it. and recipes? oh, my gosh, I love being able to type in the ingredients I have on hand and google will direct me to a recipe! Hurray!
Overheard in New York? Intriguing Kaytabug. I too like to "overhear" other conversations--found myself doing that just the other day in hair salon--wishing I were the person they were talking about. Will check out the NY site.
Thanks for reminding me about allrecipes...I had forgotten it, and with my new kitchen, I need to do some cooking! Also, "overheard in New York" is one of my FAVORITES - been in my sidebar for ages!
I don't think you failed at all. I really enjoy "Overheard in NY", too.
Great post. I love Google AND sites to get recipes!!
never been to overheard in new york. will have to check that one out.
and i'm lol @ pamela....
Yes google is great and was my choice. I've just seen some recipes I like the look of on 'All recipes.com'(so thanks for that). Ha, I liked the Overheard in NY~ very funny!
For bloggers, choosing one site is HARD! I mean, NONE of us read "just one", ya know?
It has been interesting, though, to see a lot of diversity with this theme; I think I thought there'd be lots of duplication, but there really hasn't been. Sure, some repeated sites, but overall, a lot of new ones :)
Ah no - you did well. The language of the assignment was a bit grandiose. :) I love AllRecipes. Cooklinglight.com is another one of my favourites.
I love Overheard in NY. Never ceases to amaze me what people are caught talking about.
You didn't fail this assignment at all!
Great choices and you have given me the tip on Overheard in New York which I have never been to yet! You certainly didn't botch anything, girl!
I couldn't come up with one site either I have so many sites that I visit constantly that it would be hard to choose just one.
I love google and wikipedia also daily visits for me for various reasons especially homeschooling in my case.
I agree about blogs being better then reality tv!
Post a Comment