Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Thanksgiving Past


When I was a little girl Thanksgiving was a big deal. It was a time when all of my Mom's family would gather at her parents farm and give thanks. Everyone would wear their Sunday best. The tables were decorated lovingly by my Grandma. Each setting with it's own little cup of nuts-n-candy corn. She paid so much attention to the details.Those mini-cups of nuts-n-candy were one of my favorite things, along with the sweet tea in beautiful green glasses, and the singing of The Doxology (each year a different family member would start us off..."Praise God from whom all blessings flow..."), my Grandpa's farm weathered,wrinkled hands clasped in prayer and thanks. One of my all time favorite things was watching the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade with my cousins while the adults were busy preparing the meal.

I always dreamed of someday getting to see the parade with my own eyes.

In 2001 that dream came true.

I feel so blessed that I was able to go. We even went to view the balloons on the street as they were being filled.

Seeing Willard Scott up on that turkey was unbelievably cool!!

I forgot my extra roll of film. So I didn't take as many photos as I had planned on.
I'd like to take all 3 of my boys to the parade someday. Only the tween got to go. What makes me sad is that the only thing that really sticks out in his mind about going was his Daddy being mean and grumpy. Daddy doesn't like crowds. 3 million plus and a jam packed subway = a grumpy, stressed out Daddy. Here is where a photo of the grumpy daddy would go nicely if only I were allowed to post his picture on my blog. But I respect his wishes! :-)

I'll share a few of my favorites that are probably really crappy scans, since they are from our first scanner not our current. Ya get what ya get!









Happy Thanksgiving!!! I am so thankful for so much, but I'd like to let you know that I'm thankful for all of the friends that are in my life that I never would have if it weren't for blogging. May you and your families be blessed.

5 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

The Snoopy balloon rox!

Happy Thanksgiving. Good memories for you of your special times with family :)

poefusion said...

Happy to hear you were able to finally view the Macy parade in person. I bet it was a great experience. Your Thanksgiving get together at your grandmother's house sounds really nice too. My family used to get together at my great aunt's house. it will always bring fond memories to surface for me. Have a great day/ weekend.

Jenni said...

We never had a traditional Thanksgiving growing up. It was usually just my mom, brother, and me, and Mom usually didn't have the money for a big meal. She tried to make it fun that we were doing something different by making Chinese food or Mexican, but it was a thin disguise for what was really going on. I did appreciate that she tried, but I always wished we had the big family gatherings that most people I knew had.

We did watch the parade on TV, though, and that was always a treat. I'm not sure I would want to be there in person. Crowds stress me out a little, too.

Pamela said...

I love your description of Thanksgiving. It should be in CHicken Soup For the Soul books.

I dare you to submit it.

Marvin said...

I'd forgotten about watching the Macy's parade with cousins at Grandma's house. Our celebrations weren't as structured as you describe, but they were large family gatherings and the food was great. That's been a long time ago.