Self beatings were common for years. It may be something that I'll always carry. The scars, the sadness, the guilt.
I believe that everything happens for a reason. I always have. 3 years ago I saw a Post Secret that was made out of a "It's a Boy" balloon. The secret: "When we decided to keep you your life wasn't the only one saved." That one hit me hard. It still brings me to tears. Before I became pregnant I was headed down a road that I feel I would have never survived. When I made my choice to keep him, it saved my life. I took a different road.
He is a tween now. Full of angst, attitude and issues. Like most tweens, right? But, I think he has something more going on than the average tween and I tried to get him help. We had sought out a counselor. On my 3rd meeting with him, trying to be open but feeling like he wasn't right for us, a song came on the radio while I was waiting to be seen.
It took all I could not to cry right there in the waiting room.
When I first heard the song many, many years ago it touched me and I immediately thought of my firstborn. I think of my other 2 as well but they weren't born yet. I associate the song with my boys, but especially my first son. When it came on, not only did I know I needed to stop seeing this counselor, it gave me strength to let it be okay that it wasn't a right fit for us. I felt a wave of feeling like it was all going to work out and everything was going to be alright.
"If I had just one wish
Only one demand
I hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
that he can take this life
and hold it by the hand
and he can greet the world
With arms wide open..."
It took me longer than most to realize that everything had changed. I will continue to show him love and spend the rest of my life showing him everything, with my arms wide open.
Things happen for a reason, just believe.
8 comments:
This is the best post you've ever written--absolutely beautiful. I hope you let him read it. Great song, too, btw.
oh sweetie ... beautifully said.
i understand the angst -- and i firmly believe you and the tween will be ok
wow. just wow.
Thanks for the warning. I did cry.
Beautifully written.
Love you guys.
and please don't forget that YOU are the mother God chose for him.
Beautiful post :)
We do learn more from the little ones than they learn from us.
My oldest is a LOT like me, and that scares me at times! He'll be 13 one month from today!
[[[hugs]]]
What can I say? you GO, girl!
I got chills.
Post a Comment