Thursday, October 30, 2008

confidentiality my ass!

Yesterday afternoon I received my absentee ballot in the mail. At first I was happy, thankful that it finally arrived so that I can mail it back in time. Then anxiety started seeping in. But that is not what I wanted to write about. ( Neither is what follows, feel free to skip the next paragraph and go straight to the funny)

I was sorta shocked to find out that there is not just the A or B choice in front of us. If red or blue is not your color then there are 3 other choices on the ballot for president. Wow. Not that there is a snowballs chance in hell that any of those 3 guys will get elected, but it was kinda nice to know that I had other options. Frankly I don't like the 2 main options for president. You heard me, I said I do not like either one of them. I know most have strong feelings one way or the other but there are a good many Americans that feel confused,torn,undecided,unsure...or just flat out doesn't care anymore. You could say I am all of those things and more. For me it boils down to who is the lesser of two evils, and I haven't figured that out yet. I need to, the ballot is burning a hole on my desk. I had told a couple people that I was just not going to vote this year. But, I just couldn't bare the thought of NOT voting, so I sent off for my ballot. I told a couple others that I was just going to flip a coin. It scares me to leave such a ginormous decision up to chance. Yet, I feel that's all this election boils down to is chance. At this point I am so sick of all the coverage on this election, I lost interest 6 months ago. I am ready for it to be over. I don't care which one gets elected, just get it over with already so we can move on. I don't have any faith in politicians anyway. They make all these promises that once elected they are unable to keep. I am glad that there are a good many Americans that do have hope, that are optimistic, they can pick up the slack from my pessimistic ass.

Here is REALLY what I wanted to share, the funny(well I thought it was funny).That is the envelope that will contain my ballot. Click it to big it, but what caught my eye was the at the very bottom: "NOTICE TO VOTER:Your absentee ballot will be separated from this signed absentee envelop in order to guarantee the confidentiality of your vote."
Are you fucking serious? I don't believe that bullshit for one second. Do you really think that whoever opens this envelope won't glance at the ballot they pull out? Do they have one person overseeing the envelop opener to ensure my confidentiality? Fuck no! Maybe they close their eyes as they pull the ballot from the envelop and put it in a slot in a box,getting mixed with other ballots. Unlikely. I fear whoever opens it is corrupt enough to throw it away if I didn't vote for who they wanted, OR maybe they are on orders from "Big Brother" to chuck so many for X candidate, enough to throw the election the way "the powers that be" want it to go.

I have serious trust issues.

Don't bother asking who I voted for, I won't tell. Only the envelope opener and I will know. Please don't assume, I don't want to see you make an ass of yourself. Love ya!

11 comments:

Beckie said...

You voted! That's great.

I also thought about that separation thing with the envelopes. I figure they open so many they don't give a rip plus I think there are people there from both parties 'overseeing' the process.

I know - that made you feel a lot better - didn't it?

Retrohipster said...

that's the job I am going to get when I get out! Envelope opener extrordinaire!!!

Unknown said...

Well... that state is "solid" for one candidate, so the best thing you hope for is to (a) oust the scoundrels who voted for the bailout, and/or (b) vote your heart when it comes to all your local reps.

My presidential vote, if it would have been for "that one" wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever, Texas is so red... but I hope my vote for my US reps, senators, Texas reps and, most important to my day to day, the local judges, makes a difference.

Anonymous said...

I don't like either of the final two...so I am writing in & will have no guilt on my conscience next week.

Anonymous said...

You voted for me didn't you. I knew it.

the planet of janet said...

i am SURE they totally peek.

Sauntering Soul said...

I kind of feel like it's the lesser of two evils as well.

Anonymous said...

It always freaks me out when there is a Fill-in-the-blank vote part too. i wonder how many votes Mickey mouse gets.

We do Mail-in-ballots too...but our ballot goes in a 2nd envelope inside the signed one. So, I figure whoever opens them up just removes the other envelope and sticks it in a pile.

Anonymous said...

Yay for voting!

I'm not sure if I could NOT look when opening some of those envelopes and ballots.

My vote is in an envelope, too. I voted early on Friday. Glad it's done, whew!

Jenni said...

I feel much the same as you. I know who I'm voting for, but I'm not overjoyed with either of the main candidates. I'm feeling very pessimistic about politics in general. However, I have some other thoughts about it in store for election day that I won't share here.

As for knowing who other people are going to vote for, I just don't care any more. In fact, I really wish more people would keep it to themselves, so good for you!

Since I can't share this on my blog, I'll share it here. My mom called the other day and was talking about voting. She jokingly said something like, "Of course you're going to vote for that black guy, right?" (She's not racist, but she's very anti-Democrat.) I said, "Well, yeah, isn't that who I'm supposed to vote for. Wait, actually he isn't 'black', he's biracial and that's the guy I'm voting for." She said, "You're kidding, right? You're not that stupid." I refused to tell her whether or not I was kidding. I'm so sick of hearing her (and others) spew what they hear on Fox News back to me that I want to make them sweat. Plus, I truly don't believe it's anyone's place to be so nosy and pushy about who someone else is voting for. I don't care who she votes for. It is her business, just as who I vote for is MINE. Heh heh. I'm sick of both parties. If you're a fanatic of either the red or the blue persuasion, don't call me expecting me to agree with you. I'm liable to disagree just to piss you off.

Anonymous said...

Nevermind. GO INDEPENDENTS!!!